During 2013, as in previous years, corporate sponsorship, community involvement and educational excellence are all important concerns at Southern Wine & Spirits of Hawaii, according to Warren Shon, Executive Vice President, General Manager of Southern Wine & Spirits of Hawaii.I. Hawaii Food & Wine Festival
In 2013, Southern Wine & Spirits of Hawaii will continue its supporting role as a Diamond Sponsor of the Annual Hawaii Food & Wine Festival (HFWF) at the end of September. “Taste Our Love of the Land” brought together over 60 World Class Chefs, Master Sommeliers, Top Tier Winemakers, food producers, and innovators, who all converged in the beautiful Hawaiian Islands to create an unparalleled food and wine experience.
Mr. Shon said that proceeds from the HFWF events went to benefit five organizations:
II. Southern Wine & Spirits of Hawaii and the Hawaii Food Bank
- The Hawaii Agricultural Foundation whose mission is to promote the long term viability and increase awareness and appreciation of agriculture and farming in Hawaii through research, education, training, partnerships, and public outreach. The Foundation also promotes the importance of food security and sustainability in Hawaii.
- The Culinary Institute of the Pacific – A collaborative initiative of six foodservice training programs within the University of Hawaii Community College system on the four major islands. The vision is to establish an advanced culinary campus that will benefit students from Hawaii and the World who wish to hone their culinary skills and receive their Third-year professional training certificate in restaurants and business management at the proposed Diamond Head facility.
- Leeward Community College Culinary Program – Prepare for a culinary career with a fusion of hands-on experiences and classroom instruction. Students develop the skills and confidence essential for a wide range of culinary careers. Students are also able to enhance and broaden their education experience through externships at some of our state’s finest restaurants. At Leeward, you get the chance to work side-by-side with chefs like Alan Wong, Russell Siu, Chai Chaowasaree, Roy Yamaguchi, and D.K. Kodama, to name just a few!
- Pae Pae O He’eia – Pae Pae o He'eia is a private non-profit organization dedicated to caring for He'eia Fishpond – an ancient Hawaiian fishpond located in He'eia, Ko'olaupoko, O'ahu. Established by a group of young Hawaiians, Paepae o He'eia works in partnership with landowner, Kamehameha Schools, to manage and maintain He'eia Fishpond for the community.
- Papahana Kuaola -- Quietly tucked away at the base of the Ko'olau mountains in He'eia are the kalo patches of Papahana Kuaola. An offshoot of native plant specialists Hui Kū Maoli Ola, Papahana Kuaola is a nonprofit organization with a focus on education and habitat restoration.
During 2012 and 2013, Southern Wine & Spirits of Hawaii partner has partnered with many other private and civic groups across the state to support the annual Hawaii Food Bank drive, according to Mr. Shon. Noting the annual statewide Hawaii Food Bank drive, Mr. Shon said this annual non-perishable food drive, which benefits the homeless and needy of Hawaii, is just one example of the numerous ways the Company gives back and always seeks to act as a responsible corporate member of the community.
Mr. Shon said, “I am extremely proud to participate in many worthy causes benefiting Hawaii and its people; all of us here at Southern work very hard and in many different ways to give back, and I thank everyone involved.”
According to Mr. Shon, the Company’s formal participation involves many senior executives of the Company, not to mention the generous individual contributions of time and food by Company employees throughout the state. Mr. Shon wanted to stress that Southern is “just a fraction of the involvement of thousands of local businesses and individuals throughout Hawaii, but we are very proud of the role we play in the overall annual food drive and fund-raising campaign.”III. Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific
In 2013, Southern continued its support of Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific. According to the group’s website, Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific Rebuilds Lives Together with individuals, families and communities by providing exemplary patient care services for those with physical and cognitive disabilities in Hawaii and the Pacific utilizing a continuum of rehabilitation services that are advanced through education, technology and research. For more information, please visit: www.rehabhospital.org.IV. Other Charitable Support
In 2013, Southern Wine & Spirits of Hawaii and its team members are also proud to provide support to the following non-profit community groups and organizations in the state: Make A Wish Foundation, March of Dimes, Lupus Foundation, Big Brothers of Hawaii, Planned Parenthood, and the Bishop Museum, among others. Mr. Shon added he is extremely proud of the fact that many Southern employees also give generously of their time to support local charitable groups in the communities they live in and serve.